Best Canister Vacuum Cleaners- 2019
Welcome to this blog. We sincerely hope you will find the information and reviews on different brands & models of the canister vacuum cleaners very useful.
With a wide variety of choices and manufacturers, getting a suitable size and weight for a home canister vacuum is never an easy task.
Basically, you need to consider the types of surface to be vacuum, your house/office size, the vacuum replacement tools and the vacuum cost. A good quality canister vacuum will probably last for a very long time so factoring cost over longevity could be a very good thing.
However, here are the guidelines on how to choose a good canister vacuum? Consider these factors:
- Suck power – Must be powerful enough to pick-up most of the dust on carpets as well as hardfloors.
- Cord and nozzle length – Individual preferences and depend on your room size.
- Weight – Lightweight is always a prefer choice!
- Cost – Depend to the individual budget.
- Quietness – The quiet canister vacuum cleaners are always preferred.
- Warranty Period – Dyson offer up to 5-year warranty (parts and labor) while others mostly offer 1-year warranty.
- Brand – Does the brand make the different? Some brand includes more accessories.
- Overview of Canister Vacuum
- Why choose Canister Vacuum Cleaners?
- Tips before starting
- Instructions for starting
- Some tips if your canister doesn’t start:
- Safety tips
- Cleaning Your Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- Key Takeaway
- Best Canister Vacuum Cleaners in 2019
- Tips on choosing the Best Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- Common mistakes when using a canister vacuum
- Guidelines for repairing your canister vacuum
- Upright vacuum Vs Canister Vacuum
Overview of Canister Vacuum
Various different types of vacuum cleaners are available these days and buying a type would depend solely upon user needs and preferences. Canister Vacuum Cleanersoffer more versatile functionality and these are most suitable for use in an urban environment for example in apartments and studios.
Consumer reviewssuggest that Canister machines are leading the European market. The Canister Vacuum cleaners feature motor and dust collector. These machines either have bag or are bagless. The dust collectors are usually found on wheels of the machine that are connected by a flexible hose to the head of the cleaner. These machines are known for their flexibility as it enables users to use different attachments for varied tasks.
Why choose Canister Vacuum Cleaners?
With many types of options available in market, it is difficult to make a buying decision in favor of any one type of vacuum cleaner. Upright Cleaners are less expensive and offer clean design however they operate in a manner that you would need to drag entire cleaner for cleaning any surface. Some of these are usually noisy and heavy. There are even smaller size handheld cleaners available in market today. They are miniature size and portable however the offer limited space usage and are not suitable for heavy cleaning task. The most expensive ones are automated robot cleaners. Not only they are expensive but consume more time however they work effectively well in doing the entire task automatically.
Among all these Canister Vacuum cleanersare most suitable as they are reasonably priced machines offering effective cleaning on bare floor as well as on carpets. Even you do not need to worry about getting rid of pet hair with canister machines.
Canister Vacuums are known for offering greater maneuverability and they are easier to clean under furniture and through stairs. The canister cleaners are wheeled body that users would need to pull behind them holding hose and nozzle. They are usually light weight and easy to handle. For all those who have staircase to clean, then you must go through detailed product reviewsand select the most suitable one for you. They operate without making noise.
A major advantage of these machines is that they can be accommodated in a tight space as the storage doesn’t need much space for these compact size cleaners. Most of the cleaners have retractable cords so you need not to get yourself trapped in tiring task of wrapping the cord for storage.
Benefits of Using a Canister Vacuum Cleaner
Canister vacuums are capable of handling different chores of cleaning. They come with varied attachments that make cleaning easier with different types of flooring, furniture and furnishings. You can even deal with difficult to reach areas like high ceilings, under furniture, upholstery and other places with the use of telescopic wand. Canister vacuums are suitable for cleaning jobs in houses as well as at work places.
They are excellent choice for cleaning hardwood or tiled floor. They also work well with carpeting, area rugs, stairs etc. Canister vacuums are offered with great attachments for cleaning drapes. You can easily reach high areas without any straining, stretching or lifting of heavy machines. Canisters also clean well over stairs. Its long hoses give you enough space to clean stairs as you move up and down the steps.
Canister machines are also designed with power heads that enable you to easily clean under bed, tables, sofa and other furniture. If in case the power head breaks, you can continue cleaning with another tool and can easily replace the head. On the other hand you will be trapped if head of your upright canister breaks down. You would need to contact a repair shop or may need to replace the whole machine. Another option that canisters offer is that you can have it either bagged or bagless.
Canister vacuums have powerful suction so you can clean quick and deep. Even if you are a pet owner, canister vacuums with special tools for pet hair removal can be used. Better suction power will clean up entire house with a wink of an eye. Canister vacuums are designed with more powerful motors that give excellent performance of suction and airflow. This means that you get much cleaner space with canister vacuums in comparison to other cleaning appliances.
Portability and Ease of Maneuvering
Canister vacuums are light weight machines and you can easily carry them all around your place for cleaning. In upright canisters, as you carry the vacuum you would need to push the weight of cleaner through the space but in light weight canisters are easy to move. Some canisters also include 360 degrees rotating hose attachment that makes cleaning easier. Even if you have places to clean above your head, this flexible hose allows you to reach all those high and tight places.
Ease of Storage
Canister vacuums are smaller in size in comparison to upright vacuums and thus you can easily store them. For all those who have small space for storage, canister vacuum will cause you no trouble. Even the parts and attachments of the vacuum can be stored inside or on the vacuum itself.
Impressive Design and Filtration System
Canister vacuums are sealed tight and restricts from any allergens or dust particles to be released back in to air. It helps in maintaining a clean and healthy indoor environment during and after vacuum cleaning. If you are asthma or allergy sufferer, there can be no better cleaning appliance than a high quality canister vacuum. A HEPA filtration system with your vacuum will be a treat for you as it removes 99.9% of dust and allergens from air thus gives you a cleaner air to breathe.
Canister’s dirt collection system is limited in comparison to that of upright vacuums and thus you may need to empty it multiple times if you are catering to a large space. When using canisters over hardwood or tiled floor, you must turn the beater bar off in order prevent any scratches or damages on your fine looking floor. This is an essential feature.
Canister vacuums usually last longer than upright canisters. Versatility and flexibility of use makes canister vacuums by far the best choice of all for small to medium sized rooms. However for really large spaces you should consider getting an upright canister vacuum. Canister vacuums are known for their excellent cleaning ability however if you have a full heavy carpeted room, canister may not work effectively well. Canister vacuums are best recommended for hardwood floor and light carpeting. Having so many options in terms of budget and features, you can make decision according to your personal preferences. So get a perfect canister vacuumaccording to your requirements and begin your household cleaning fully equipped.
Tips before starting
- We recommend you to go through your canister vacuum’s user manual before beginning to use it.
- First and foremost you need to know about all the parts and features of your canister in order to effectively use your cleaner.
- Pay special attention to assembly instructions of your canister and make sure that all the components are in place and fixed properly before switching canister on. If you fail to assemble properly and switch the canister on, it may result in an electric shock.
- Make sure that the switch is off as you plug in your canister. If the switch is on, there is a chance that dangerous accident or injury can happen.
Instructions for starting
- Pull the vacuum cord out up to a length that you find suitable for your cleaning task.
- Make sure that the plug is polarized as it reduces chances of electrical shock.
- Plug on the cord of vacuum in an outlet close to your cleaning surface.
- Lower down the wand with the use of handle release feature.
- Set the height setting according to your need. Usually most of the canisters have a pedal with the help of which you can select a proper height for cleaning.
- Canisters usually have switch that enables you to use canister for varied cleaning. Depending upon what kind of surface you need to clean whether carpets, hard floor or others, position the switch on appropriate option.
- Switch on and begin using your canister vacuum. Using canister is simple and easy and if you are a new user, you can refer to our simple steps for using a canister vacuum.
Some tips if your canister doesn’t start:
There are few things that you can check for yourself if your canister vacuum is not starting:
- Check if the vacuum is properly plugged in to the power source outlet. Your power source may have loose receptacles and this may be keeping power to flow properly to your vacuum motor. If this is the problem, try plugging in your canister in some other outlet of your house to check if it is running properly or not. If it works, you can connect an extension cord to reach the room for cleaning where outlet is loosen up.
- Another problem could be the canister cup or vacuum bag of your cleaner. Some high-tech recent canister models may not turn on if the bag or cup is full. This feature prevents from straining and causing damage to motor. So check for your canister bag and empty if it is even 3/4th full.
- Check the cord properly. If the cord is damaged or if there are any splits in the cord rubber. If you find any, wrap small splits up with electrical tape for temporary usage. However if there are many avoid using the canister and call a technician for proper repairing.
- Check the voltage rating of your canister vacuum before switching it on to use for cleaning. Do not ever use DC outlets, plug in to only AC outlets. An incorrect voltage supply may result in a dangerous incident and can cause injury to user and damage to the canister machine.
- Do not ever try using an appliance that you know is damaged.
- Do not use the canister if the power cord is damaged or has been accidently flooded in water.
- Do not plug in the cord and operate vacuum with wet hands.
- Keep this appliance out of reach of children and do not leave it unattended if you have children or pets in your home.
- Unplug the vacuum when you are done with cleaning. Never leave it plugged in.
- Anything which is burning such as cigarette or any flammable substance must not be cleaned with the canister.
- Never pull canister by cord.
- For unplugging, switch off the plug. Do not pull cord instead hold the plug and pull out.
- Do not run over cord.
- Keep cord away from sharp corners or heated surfaces.
- Keep all your body parts away from canister such as hair, clothes, fingers etc.
- After each use, for servicing, for maintenance, for change of attachments, for change of filters and other similar task, make sure that the canister is turned off and plugged out.
- Use canister vacuum and its attachments for purposes that are recommended in the user’s manual.
Cleaning Your Canister Vacuum Cleaner
Like all the tools need cleaning and maintenance, vacuums are no different. If you would not be able to keep it clean, then you would encounter reduced efficiency. In order to keep this heavy investment safe, you need to follow some tips for cleaning a canister vacuum. These tips would take only few minutes before and after vacuuming in order to keep your appliance and floor safe and clean.
Cleaning before starting to vacuum
- Inspect Brushes: Usually the rolling brushes of your vacuum get substances like hair, thread and other similar things tangled. These brushes where are responsible for lifting debris and dirt out of your carpets/rugs and if they are not able to span properly because of these tangled items, they won’t perform their lifting job well. Make sure that these brushes are clean and you can tease these items by loosening them or use scissors (small one) to get rid of them.
- Check Belts: With extensive use over time, the belt of the vacuums may wear out and these stretched out belts hinder proper working of your vacuum. Inspect the belt of your vacuum regularly and arrange for replacement if needed.
- Check hoses: Carry out an extensive check for any holes and spots that you may find. Also make sure that the hose is clean from dirt and debris. Checking hose before each use for being cleaned would give you effective cleaning and would prevent from any debris or other item from damaging the motor.
- Wheels: Your vacuums truly deal with messy substances like dirt, dust, debris and more. These particles usually get coated on wheels of your canister. So before vacuuming you must get rid of these in order to avoid placing it back to your floor and carpets. Just take a microfiber damp cloth and wipe the tires quickly.
Cleaning after using vacuum
There exist bagged and bagless models of canister vacuum. In order to develop a good cleaning habit and to keep your canister clean; empty bags (for bagged) and containers (for bagless) of canisters outside. Most of the new models of vacuums are appointed with switches that enable you to clean the bags/bins directly to the trash. Hold your breath while emptying to prevent from inhaling any allergens or dust.
In case you have lift-off canisters, the bin bag will be tightly held across the rim of machine and you would need to invert it carefully to empty it. It would take few seconds for the dirt to drift out of the bag so leave the bag in the same position for all the dirt to get away.
We recommend you to empty the bin as it reaches half full. Do not wait for it to be completely filled as vacuuming performance may drop away with bag bursting with debris and dirt. For removal of bags for disposal of dirt, follow instructions mentioned in your product manual. In case the bag is not sealed, hold it tight from the top to avoid any dust to get away on the floor again.
Vacuums with dust bin must be emptied after each use in order to get the same efficiency and power of suction with which you began vacuuming at first. Once you are done with emptying bins/bags, wipe down your canister. Use a clean dust free soft cloth for cleaning after each use as your appliance would surprisingly be a little dusty and dirty while collecting all such particles that it encounter on your floor.
- Keep your canister clean by washing all the components that are washable, check your instruction manual and seek guidance.
- Wash attachments (dust brush, crevice and upholstery tools) once a month in order to avoid buildup of dirt.
- All the hoses that are made up of plastic can be rinsed in the sink and you can hang them to dry.
- You must also occasionally wash dust containers and its plastic gaskets.
- Check with the maintenance schedule of your canister for regular replacement of internal dust filters and HEPA Media filters. Dirty filters can eventually overheat vacuum, affect its efficiency and may cause damage to vacuum motor. Carefully check instructions given on the manual or check with your manufacturer for replacement.
- Clean/wash filters according to specific instructions given for your model. Make sure that the filters are completely dry before placing them on your canister.
- Brush bar usually captures threads and hair found on your floor. Clean your brush bar at intervals by carefully snipping across and pulling these substances out gently. You may use a small scissor.
- Use another vacuum tool if required for cleaning of a brush attachment that is dirty. Remove the brush attachment and clip it on the crevice. Go along the bristles of brush for suction of dirt and dust.
- Avoid vacuuming when there are coins, sharp items, large stock of debris, toys and other items are lying on their floor. Capturing these would harm internal mechanism of your canister. It may bend the blades and may damage the motor.
Whether you have an expensive thousand dollar vacuum or a relatively less expensive canister vacuum, using these tips for cleaning would give your vacuum a longer healthy life span and would keep you worry free. The tips here mentioned can be easily followed and would consume only a small amount of your time while offering you comfort of a lifetime.
Best Canister Vacuum Cleaners in 2019
Let us take a look at the top 5 canister vacuum cleaners available today. These models are selected based on their features, performance, ease of operation, durability along with reasonably priced models to cater to your individual requirements and budgets.
Top 5 Canister Vacuum Cleaner Reviews
Main focus while choosing the best canister vacuums should be both convenience and power. Based on a number of factors that we have considered with customer reviews of the various machines, the following 5 are considered the best ones in terms of functionality and comfort for users. These surely are some high-end canister vacuum cleaners however if you are looking for some budget friendly cleaners, we would recommend you to go through our cheap canister vacuums.
Eureka 3670G Mighty Mite canister vacuum
Cleaning wood, laminate or tile floors can be a huge pain. Brooms and other cleaning tools just brush the tiny particles and dust into the air. What we need is a vacuum cleaner that works quickly and efficiently on bare floors. The Eureka 3670G Mighty Mite canister vacuum cleaner is a powerful 12 amps vacuum cleaner. Eureka claims that the Mighty Mite is a powerful and efficient bare floor vacuum cleaner.
Eureka 3670G Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum Features
The Eureka Mighty Mite vacuum cleaner has many great features that allow you to clean bare floors quickly. This vacuum cleans bare floors like a pro while a blower allows you to clean out garages with ease. Below are some of Mighty Mite’s best features.
The Eureka Mighty Mite is equipped with a 12 amp motor. This provides you with a powerful suction for a thorough cleaning.
- Cleaning Tools
Cleaning hard to reach areas is a breeze with Eureka’s cleaning tools. Along with two extension wands you will receive an upholstery nozzle, carpet/bare floor nozzle, crevice tool and dusting brush. All items are placed on the vacuum cleaner for easy access. In addition there is a blower port. This allows you to blow out big items such as leaves from any room. It is easy to use – just detach the hose and connect it to the blower port.
The Mighty Mite is lightweight, weighing only 9 pounds. This allows you to move the vacuum cleaner with ease. You can go from room to room quickly with the 20 foot extension cord.
– 12 Amps and powerful suction
– Wide range of cleaning tools
– Low in price
– It can be loud when using
The Eureka 3670G Might Mite Canister Vacuum Cleaner is a great household appliance. If you have bare floors such as wood, tile or laminate, this may be the vacuum for you. This vacuum cleaner has an assortment of cleaning tools to make it easy for you to keep your whole house clean.
Bissell 1161 Hard Floor Expert Deluxe Canister Vacuum
Bissell Hard Floor Expert Deluxe canister vacuum is specialized and lightweight for maneuverability. It is great for vacuuming under low tables and furniture. The compact design allows easy storing and carry up and down stairs.
Rubber wheels and felt treads give you extra peace of mind as they won’t scratch or mark floors. Unlike a typical vacuum, the brush has extra soft bristles for a ‘no scratch’ cleaning experience. The brush has softer bristles that are not as tough on hard floors as a typical vacuum brush. Softness of the bristles makes it gentle on hard floors but tough on messes— loosening dirt that’s then picked up with powerful suction.
The model offers a specialized hard floor performance. It is designed to clean delicate surfaces, high and low, with powerful suction. To reduce suction power for area rugs and other delicate surfaces, it has digital fingertip controls. It is featured with an Easy Empty dirt tank, which opens from the bottom for a no-mess disposal. Retractable power cord glides out well and retracts effortlessly. The Telescopic Extension Wand gives an extended reach and allows easier cleaning of curtains and stairs. Overall, it is engineered with a full complement of tools that has been made for your hardfloors.
Features at a glance
• It is powerful, yet cleans delicately to protect your floor surfaces
• It has non marking rubber wheels with felt treads
• The compact and lightweight design makes it easy to maneuver and store
• Its fingertip control allows you to power the vacuum and control the suction to safely clean delicate surfaces like drapes and upholstery
• Its Easy Empty dirt tank opens from the bottom for no-mess disposal
BISSELL Hard Floor Expert Bagless Canister Vacuum, 1154
BISSELL Hard Floor Expert Bagless Canister Vacuum, 1154 has a compact design for easy storage. The lightweight machine allows effortless carrying and easy maneuvering, which is great for hard floors, stairs and other surfaces like curtains, upholstery, auto interiors and similar others. The suction is very powerful, yet cleans delicately to protect your floor surfaces. Extra soft bristles of the brush, rubber wheels and felt treads will not scratch floors. Soft bristles of the air driven Hard Floor Dusting tool safely cleans pet hair, crumbs and fine debris from hard surfaces. The bottom empty tank helps convenient and hassle free emptying. Maneuvering under and around furniture becomes much easier with the Swivel steering. You no more need to do the boring task of wrapping the cord manually. The Automatic rewind does the job for you. The specialized onboard tools include a dusting tool, crevice tool, telescoping extension wand and low pile carpet tool. Having this at home you will find your cleaning job fun and truly rewarding.
Features at a glance
• It is compact & lightweight and easy to maneuver and store
• Its air driven Hard Floor Dusting tool is designed with soft bristles to safely clean pet hair, crumbs and fine debris from hard surfaces
• The Swivel steering helps easy maneuver under and around furniture
• Its slim design is ideal for easy storage
• Its Bottom empty tank allows easy emptying without any mess
• It has a powerful suction, yet cleans delicately to protect your floor surfaces
• It has non-marking rubber wheels with felt treads
• It has an automatic rewind that keeps your cord tidy and hassle-free
• A dusting tool, crevice tool, telescoping extension wand, and low pile carpet tool are included in the specialized onboard tools
• It has a 2-year limited warranty
BISSELL Zing Bagged Canister Vacuum, Purple, 4122
BISSELL canister vacuum 4122 is light and easy to maneuver. It is great for stairs and other surfaces like curtains, upholstery, auto interiors, and more. With BISSELL Zing bagged canister vacuum any cleaning task becomes effortless. The lightweight design and carry handle provide portability and convenience.
The Multi-Surface Floor Nozzle will allow for easy cleaning of carpet, rugs and bare floors. The telescoping wand allows you to comfortably maneuver around and under furniture. It will also allow for cleaning hard to reach areas like drapes and ceilings. Once you finish your cleaning job, the cord will automatically rewind with the push of a button meaning you no more need to do the rewinding manually. Automatically you are getting a quick cord storage with the push of a button. Its Full Bag Indicator will tell you when to empty the bag. Overall, your vacuuming experience becomes delightful than ever before.
Features at a glance
• The powerful suction gets the dirt high and low, great for bare floors, rugs and above floor cleaning
• Its compact and lightweight design gives portability and easy storage
• Multi-surface cleaning helps easily going from cleaning carpets to hard floors with the flip of a switch
• The model includes: Telescoping Wand for an extended reach, Automatic Cord Rewind, Variable Suction Control, Full Bag Indicator
• Powerful suction gets the dirt high and low–great for bare floors, rugs and above-floor cleaning
• Easily go from cleaning carpets to hard floors with just the flip of a switch
• It has an automatic cord rewind for quick cord storage with the push of a button
Dyson DC39 Origin Canister Vacuum
DC39 Origin is a full-size Dyson canister vacuum with Ball technology which allows for greater maneuvering. A Dyson Ball vacuum cleans without any awkward moves and collision with obstacles, turning on the spot. DC39 Origin also has a central steering mechanism that provides greater control. The vacuum rides on a ball, which pivots on itself so you can instantly change direction with just a turn of the wrist. Dyson cyclones capture more dirt than any other. DC39 Origin has Radial Root Cyclone technology, which is patented, with remodeled airways maximizes suction power which helps to capture more dirt. Its improved flow efficiency reduces turbulence and preserves air pressure allowing more microscopic particles to be extracted by the inner cyclones. These refinements help remove more dust, allergens and pet hair from your home.
It is bagless and the lifetime filters are washable, so there are no extra costs. DC39 Origin comes with a Triggerhead tool and an air-driven rotating brush bar. It’s the only turbine head controlled at the handle and requires no bending down. You just need to push the button on the handle to turn the brush bar on for high pick-up on carpets, or off for delicate rugs and hard floors. DC39 Origin has been engineered for reduced noise levels. The essential components are located inside the acoustically treated ball allowing the clutter-free outer to steer smoothly. Emptying the bin on a Dyson vacuum is very quick and hygienic with the press of a button to release the dirt. The clear bin lets you know when it needs emptying – and how much dust, dirt and pet hair the machine has captured.
Features at glance
• It turns on a dime – the only canister vacuum with a central steering mechanism
• It does not require bending down to adjust from carpet to hard floors
• It has Radial Root Cyclone technology to capture more dirt and microscopic dust than any other without loss of suction.
Electrolux Ergospace Bagged Canister Vacuum, EL4103A
The Ergospace canister is small in size and compact in design that allows easy storage and provides portability. It makes cleaning bare floors and area rugs easy on you. The powerful yet quiet motor and adjustable floor nozzle perfectly clean all the bare floor surfaces in your home. It has a full-size carpet turbo nozzle that allows you to safely clean low to medium height carpets and area rugs with ease.
It has a 3-in-1 combination tool that that changes from a crevice tool to a dusting brush to an upholstery nozzle to clean crevices, stairs and flat surfaces easily. For a compact storing and hassle-free wrapping, it is featured with an automatic cord rewind and hose wrap system. Ergospace gives 34-ft of cleaning reach. The 21-ft cord, 9-ft hose and telescopic wand allows extended reach to clean the entire home. No more worries if you are allergic to dust as the patented s-bag traps dust and allergens while the premium HEPA filter removes 99.97% of dust and allergens from the air in your home. Additionally, buyers will get one BONUS s-bag with this model.
Features at a glance
• Its adjustable floor nozzle lets you switch from cleaning low level carpets to hard floors
• The carpet turbo nozzle allows you to clean low to medium height carpets and area rugs
• Its 3-in-1 combination tools adjust to clean crevices, stairs and flat surfaces
• It has a cord rewind for the 21-ft cord
• It is featured with a hose wrap system to easily store the canister and hose together
• Premium HEPA filter removes 99.97% of dust and allergens from the air in your home
Eureka 3670G Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum
This small canister vacuum is extremely easy to carry and is appreciated for its maneuverability. It is lightweight and weighs less than 9 pounds and gives its customers value for money. It is equipped with powerful brush rolls that deeply clean carpets. A full set of tools are provided for specialty cleaning such as stairs and upholstery. This canister is considered ideal for vacuuming bare floors, wood floors and tiles. This can pick up dust and pet hair easily. It sucks up dirt and other small particles from under the car seats as well as the sides very easily and conveniently.
The Eureka 3670G Mighty Mite canister vacuum is equipped with a 12 amp motor and creates powerful suction for a quick and efficient cleaning. The onboard tools such as the crevice tool, upholstery nozzle/dusting brush and carpet/bare floor nozzle easily adjusts to clean hard to reach areas. 2 extension wands also help clean the drapes and pull out cob webs from the high up ceilings. It is a bagged canister vacuum and includes a triple filtration bag system. The auto-shut off feature provides extra protection against overheating.
Features at a glance
• The model is ideal for Quick and Efficient Cleaning
• It is convenient for Home and Auto
• It includes Blower Port
• A lightweight 12 amp canister vacuum that safely and completely cleans bare-floor surfaces
• It has a Power-Touch handle with easy-to-use fingertip controls; deluxe floor brush; bare-floor nozzle
• It has a Blower port; 20-foot cord; compact size; auto shut-off to protect against overheating
• The on-board tools include a dusting brush, crevice tool, and upholstery nozzle
• It gives 1 year limited warranty
Miele S2121 Olympus Canister Vacuum Cleaner
The Miele S2 Series is renowned for the quality and performance. The series delivers exceptional cleaning power perfectly packaged in an agile, lightweight body. These canisters are considered versatile and they gently care for all flooring in your home, from smooth, solid surfaces like tiles and hardwoods to plush rugs and deep-pile carpeting. They have six distinct power settings that are clearly displayed on a front-mounted rotary dial allowing you to easily adjust the suction power according to the carpet pile, flooring and fabrics you’re cleaning.
S2121 Olympus Miele’s S2 Olympus vacuum cleaner is ideal for cleaning low-pile carpeting, rugs and smooth flooring. It features a Classic FiberTeQ that allows easy transition from carpet to smooth flooring with a flip of the toggle switch. The Olympus also features a telescopic, stainless steel wand and long electrical cord with automatic rewind that cover a total cleaning radius of 29.5 feet. For additional conveniences, it includes a dusting brush, upholstery tool and crevice nozzle — held in place by a VarioClip. Miele’s advanced, technologically-superior filtration systems also help improve the quality of air in your home to further support your passion for a cleaner, healthier and more comfortable home.
Features at a glance
• It is exceptionally lightweight
• It has an Air Clean filter
• It is featured with a Dusting brush, upholstery tool and crevice nozzle on VarioClip
• It covers 29.5-feet cleaning radius
• It has a classic combination carpet/smooth floor tool recommended for low pile carpeting, rugs and smooth flooring
1. Dyson DC39 Multi floor
The Dyson DC39 Multi floor canister vacuum cleanerfeatures sleek design, light weight and durable construction that give powerful suction of dirt and dust effectively from all floor types. The machine works with Dyson cyclone technology that eliminates even microscopic particles from floor. It offers easy maneuvering and greater control with exact turnings around obstacles with the central steering mechanism.
The Radial Root Cyclone technology remodels airflow for high speed suction. No need of bending down for cleaning as it is the only turbine head controlled with Triggerhead tool. The handle and brush bar is designed to fit in to compact spaces for removal of dirt. The non-removable HEPA filter gives clean air and the filters are washable. The dirt bin is transparent so you will know when you need to clean it up. No additional cost that other vacuum cleaners require in the form of bag replacements and additional tools. Dyson DC39is offered with a warranty of 5 years by manufacturers. See more our reviews
Find out more Features of Dyson DC39 Multi Floor at Amazon
2. Miele S2121 Olympus
The Miele S2121 Olympus Canister Vacuum Cleaner is a light weight and smooth operation cleaner weight around 13 pounds. It is highly durable machine and its extensive 7 years warranty on motorspeaks for its quality. The machine motor power is 1200 Watt and users can adjust the speed in to 6 different levels.
If features 18 foot cord length and stainless steel wand is extendableyielding a cleaning radius of 29 foot. The triple filtering feature of the cleaner gives you clean breathing air without any sign of dust, dirt and allergies. An indicator light indicates when it is the time to change the filter. The cloth dust bag is easy to slide in and out of the machine for cleaning. This canister vacuum cleaner would not disturb you while operating as it doesn’t make much noise. It includes almost all the necessary attachments. See more our reviews
Find out more Features of Miele S2121 Olympus at Amazon
3. Panasonic MC-CG917 “OptiFlow” Bag
The Panasonic MC-CG917 “OptiFlow” Bag Canister Vacuum Cleaner is an effective cleaning machine that has the floor and carpet option which the users can select with a convenient flip switch. The handle of the cleaner is user-friendly closed loopthat makes way for easy cleaning and handling.
The machine may not be lightweight at 28 pounds but offers convenient storage with its cord rewind system. The 12 amp powerful dual motor systemand motorized nozzlegives you ease of cleaning over bare floor and carpet. It offers 4 level height adjustment systems.
The cord length is 24 feetand cleaning radius is around 34 feet.The combination of OptiFlow technology and HEPA filtration gives cleaner air free of dirt, dust, pollens and allergens. The vacuum operates without making much noise. It is backed by 1 year warranty on parts and labor. See more our reviews
Find out more Features of Panasonic MC-CG917 at Amazon
4. Panasonic MC-CG902 Full Size Bag
The Panasonic MC-CG902 Full Size Bag Canister Vacuum Cleaner is a 12 Amp motor poweredcleaner E-Z Grip handle for comfortable operation. This machine works well on bare floor and carpets too and you can switch between the two options with simple button. It has curved carrying handle that enables moving of machine from one place to another simple and easy.
The vacuum cleaner weighs 17.6 pounds and has 1 year parts/labor warranty. Other features include two chrome wands, 6 foot hose and 15 inches wide nozzle. With all these specifications, you can quickly clean reasonable space of floor. It has options for height adjustment with 4 different positions to choose from.
It has reasonable cord length of 24 feet and the attachments enable you to reach difficult places. Trust the cleaner for low emissions with HEPA filtration. The dust collection bag is easy to empty. It also features 360 degree swivel hose that give you ease of turning with precision. See more our reviews
Find out more Features of Panasonic MC-CG902 at Amazon
5. Miele S8590 Alize
The Miele S8590 Alize Canister Vacuum Cleaner features famous Miele AirClean Sealed System and AirTeQ Combination Rug and Floor toolwith the help of which you can clean all different kind of floors with complete convenience and ease. Weight of the machine is only 12 pounds and it features a sleek compact design for user convenience.
The entire structure of the machine is ergonomically friendly that makes lifting, storage and moving quite easier. A 7 years warranty on motor and casingof this vacuum cleaner is industry beating. It provides you opportunity to choose a power level between 1200 to 300 wattswith 6 different levels. So you can choose a power level according to your specific needs.
The cleaning radius is around 33 footand the cleaner has automatic cord rewind systemfor convenience. With this tool, you can enjoy cleaner air free of allergens and dirt, thanks to the HEPA filtration and AirClean system.
Maneuvering is great easy with the dynamic drive and caster running wheelsappointed with the vacuum. Convenient park system is a highlight that gives you convenience of halting operation without stopping it. The suction hose is flexible and size is 70 inches. It is a noiseless machine offering effective cleaning on different floors. See more our reviews
Find out more Features of Miele S8590 Alize at Amazon
Tips on choosing the Best Canister Vacuum Cleaner
Under mentioned are some of the factors and guidelines that buyers should consider before choosing the most appropriate canister vacuum cleaner for your specific requirements and needs.
Power and Performance: Most of the canister vacuum cleaners have a power of 12 amps which is the maximum amount of amps allowed in a household outlet. Many of the buyers may be thinking that high power would mean that the cleaner would work more effectively. Power is certainly one of the factors but there are other factors to consider too.
Remember that not all the canister vacuums come with power regulator and thus the one that offers ability to select a power level is surely one to consider over. This enables you to select low power if not required and higher for high-end heavy cleaning.
Performance of a backpack leaf vacuum is based on the number of passes that you would need to make in order to clean a surface. The first and foremost important performance factor is the strength of suction measured in watts. High motor rating would surely mean that it has high suction power. Suction power on the other hand also depends upon design and technology used with the cleaner.
Filtration: Most of the Best Canister Vacuums use filtration for making air cleaner. The best ones are appointed with HEPA filters. These filters are capable of removing dust, dirt, pollens and allergens from air making the cleaner suitable for asthma and allergy sufferers as well. We would recommend you to buy cleaner appointed with HEPA filters.
Smooth operation: Users consider this as a really important factor to consider before buying that their cleaner must not make loud irritating noise. Usually the tolerance threshold for a canister cleaner falls between 60 to 65 dB for silent machines and those that are loud have over 80 dB. Some of the manufacturers may also limit the power of engines in order to have minimal sound.
Latest technology: Now with emerging use of technology and advancements, you have a choice to choose between a bag and bagless cleaner. Most of the cleaners with bags are usually quiet machines and offer better filtration. They are also reasonably priced and have compact design. These bagged designs are old ones and the only extra expense they cause you is the cost of bag replacement after usage of some years.
On the other hand bagless cleaners are most innovative versions of canister vacuums with separate fixed compartments for capturing dirt and dust from air. They are expensive initially in comparison to bagged cleaners however the maintenance cost is low.
Attachments: Canister vacuum cleaners come with an array of attachments including floor tool, crevice nozzle, dusting brush, upholstery brush and rocker switch. There are some cleaners available that offer more advanced options in the form of attachments apart from all the above mentioned ones. Thus in order to make a decision, one must consider what attachments are needed for cleaning of your home or workplace.
Price: Other than all the factors, a set budget is crucial when marketing for your best choice canister vacuum. Your purchase decision initiates purely by searching cleaners that fall under your price bracket of affordability. A range must be determined however it is quite common that you end up spending a little more or less than you expected depending upon the quality of product you buy. A durable and good quality functional canister cleaner would usually fall between a price range of $300 to $700.
Warranty: This factor of warranty depends upon the model and brand you choose to buy. It is surely true that more reliable and durable product comes with longer full warranty. You may find some brands offering less than 1 year of warranty while some may offer 5 years and 7 years warranty such as Dyson and Miele respectively.
Common mistakes when using a canister vacuum
Canister vacuums are without any doubt one of the most versatile cleaning tools available and they are super simple to use. However they are not designed to swallow up everything lying on your floor and are not a maintenance-free tool. They surely are known for durability and reliability but canister vacuums also need proper maintenance and care to be taken of like all other appliances. These easy to use tools can make your home look and feel cleaner and more beautiful however you need to make sure that you use this machine in the best possible manner. There exist some common spots that people usually neglect and these mistakes result in causing damage to your canister.
Common Mistakes with Canister Vacuums:
1. Picking up wrong substances:
- Vacuuming wet food or other moist things. An average canister vacuum is designed to pick up only dry particles. If you are using it to clean up wet food or spilt milk or other similar items, then it may cause damage to your cleaner. A good wet/dry vacuum cleaner would be most suitable for such jobs.
- Picking up pieces of broken glass could be really harmful for your canister. The broken glass pieces can break your dust bag, can get clogged in hose and can even damage interior of vacuum. For cleaning up of broken glasses or other sharp objects you must use a broom.
- Apart from glass, other objects like coins, paperclips etc. should not be left over on the floor to be cleaned by vacuum. You must simply remove all such items before starting to vacuum clean your surface with canister.
- Canister vacuums are designed to capture all dirt and dust effectively however if there is sand residue; your canister may not be able to work on it. For that you need an expensive durable cleaning machine. These fine sand particles usually are responsible for clogging filters and bags causing your canister to not to work properly.
- Also fireplace ashes are really fine and a normal vacuum cleaner would not be able to suck them up. Moreover they trap heat too. So if you find no other option better than vacuuming the area, let it dry (cool) down for some days and clean it then.
2. Too much vacuuming:
A common mistake that usually people do is that they believe that too much of vacuuming will cause damage to their carpets or wooden floors. However it is a complete myth. In order to prevent from any damage, you only need to vacuum with care. For all those carpeted areas that witness high amount of traffic, daily vacuuming should be done and the areas that are light to medium traffic ones require around two times a week of vacuuming with canister. If you are vacuuming less and have complain of canister not cleaning up carpet properly then it is a mistake at users’ end. When you don’t clean carpet often, dust and dirt gets accumulated deep inside the base which then becomes even harder to remove. You may even need to remove and replace the carpet as this embedded dust may cause allergies and give place to dust mites. Regularly vacuum carpets.
3. Improper use of vacuum, tools and attachments:
- Follow tips for proper use of canister vacuum for cleaning effectively all around the house. Usually what people do is that they vacuum all around the areas that do not have any hindrances just for the sake of convenience. Your canister comes with varied attachments with which you can easily reach all difficult to clean areas under the furniture, on the walls and elsewhere. When you do not clean those places, dust accumulates under such items. So use all attachments wherever required and as recommended. Canisters include dusting brushes, crevice tools and other gadgets that makes way for more effective cleaning. You won’t be able to take best benefits out of your canister if you are not using tools and attachments properly.
- Users usually neglect adjusting of the beater when they are cleaning their fragile rugs. Rug needs deep cleaning and for that you must adjust the beater at the highest height level. For all those rugs with tassels at their end, avoid vacuuming over them in order to prevent them from getting damaged by your canister machine.
- You are still vacuuming even if the bag is full. It is recommended that you must change or empty your canister vacuum bag when it reaches around 3/4th of its capacity to hold dust and dirt. Many of the vacuums include an indicating light that notifies when the vacuum bag is completely full however you must not wait until the light blinks and must check yourself in order to have great suction power for cleaning. If you are using a bagless canister vacuum, you must clean up the dust cup.
- Filter is an important component of canister vacuums. If your filter is completely full and you still are using vacuum, it would strain out your motor and can result in damage. Moreover if the filter is full, you won’t be able to get rid of allergens and odor from air. So before your filter wears down, it is best to replace. For HEPA filters, it is recommended that you change it every 6 months. However for more accurate details about changing filters of your specific machine, check user’s manual for recommendations.
- For corded vacuums, they usually have a cord rewind button or pedal. In both cases. You need to manually guide the power cord for retraction. If you fail to redirect cord, it may get damaged by moving on to the wrong track and may need to be repaired. You must hold the power cord with your hands to wind it back while pressing the rewind button or pedal.
- Do not maintain canisters properly. Regular maintenance is what your canister needs in order to operate properly.
If you have a reasonably good vacuum cleaner and is still experiencing problems while cleaning around your house, one of the above mentioned could be mistakes that you might be making with use of your canister. Even if you can’t find solutions with these guidelines and you are not satisfied with working of your canister, contact a repair technician to seek help in this regard or claim service warranty (where applicable).
Guidelines for repairing your canister vacuum
Most of the people think that canister vacuums are rigid machines that would give them cleaning aid for a lifetime without needing a hand of care or maintenance. That is why they make some common mistakes in handling of the canisters and when something goes wrong with their appliance they then wonder about fixing the issue. Users must handle these machines with care and should follow all the basic guidelines for proper use. If your canister is not working properly, you need not to immediately make a decision for replacement when there are strong chances that you can repair canister vacuums by yourself. You may even not find the need to take it to a repair person with these simple tips that you can follow for repair purposes catering to various common issues arising in these simple machines.
Important Tip: When beginning to repair, check the parts that appear first and if you cannot encounter any problem then you must do deep inside the machine. Properly examine the machine first!
Some Common Problems
Some basic questions related to problem needs to be answered before starting to repair:
- Is the canister not turning on?
- If the canister is turning on but not staying on?
- Is your machine leaving dust and debris back to the floor?
- Is the vacuum not working evenly?
- Is the suction power not appropriate?
- Is the machine producing different noises?
- Is the machine returning a bad odor?
- Is it tripping the room’s circuit breaker?
Once the problem is identified, then it becomes easier to repair!
Steps for repairing
1. If canister vacuum is not starting:
- Check if the canister vacuum is plugged in properly and switched on. Also check if the outlet you are using as a proper flow of power according to the requirements of your machine. You can try checking with a circuit tester or can plug any other appliance (like a lamp) to check if the outlet is working fine. If it is not offering power flow properly, then your vacuum will obviously not work. Repair the outlet or use other outlet with extension cord.
- If the canister vacuum is not turning on at all, make sure that the circuits have a continual power flowing through them. You can use a multi-meter for that purpose. Check for circuits that may be open and if you find any place where the continuity is missing; replace that area. Make use of the correct fuse. For a canister to start on properly, it is required that the flow of electricity must be in full circuit with complete continuity.
2. If vacuum stops working:
- Check if the canister is overheated. Many of the high-end canister vacuums feature a function that immediately stops the appliance for working if it reaches an above average temperature. This is done in order to protect the motor and machine.
- If canister stops in the middle of functioning, switch it off and unplug the machine. Wait for 25-30 minutes or refer your user manual to check for similar instructions. After waiting carefully turn it on.
3. If vacuum has a low powered suction:
- If you are witnessing a bad suction power or if the canister is leaving a bad odor of any sort or if it is leaving behind dust and debris on your floor. The problem may be lying in the cleaning and maintenance of your canister machine. Check if the machine is properly clean. Give special attention to dust bag and filters. They must be clean and in proper condition.
- Check all other parts like hose, roller etc. for any clogging that you might notice, clear these parts carefully and your cleaner may begin to work properly again. All the airways must be clear and clean.
4. Dust leakage or bad odor:
- If you find that any part of your hose has a leakage, you can easily repair it with the use of an electrical tape or silicone sealant. If it is badly worn, it is better to be replaced.
- Check the belts. Your canister belt must be properly engaging the drive shaft, brush roll and other moving components of your appliance. Any belt that is slipped may result in a bad distinctive odor of burning plastic or rubber.
5. If some parts are not working properly:
- Brush roll must be spinning properly when it is required to spin. If needed clean the roll and lubricate all the movable bearings. If you wind any of these having a need for replacement, get a new one and replace. You will find wooden brush rolls in old models while many new machines now have plastic ones. Proper functioning of brush roll can be checked by looking underneath the cleaner. Do not touch it and prevent your hair, clothes and other parts of your body from getting in contact with the brush roll. When you are using vacuum over carpets, make sure that the switch is set for carpeting so that brush roll is properly engaged for deep cleaning.
- Check if there are any breakers or fuses that may have worn out and you may need to replace them for proper working.
- Check the motor of your canister. If the motor is the problem area, see if replacing the motor is economical or whether it would be a better to invest in getting a new cheap vacuum cleaner. Although there are some parts of the motor that can be serviced but in case of damage you may be left with the option to replace the entire motor only.
- Inspect the brushes. Open the housing of the brushes and connect the wires again properly and then close the brush housing. If the brushes are worn out, you can replace them.
- The bearings or blower can be a problem area for any canister’s reduced performance. Motor includes bearings and blower is often connected to them. Your machine may also have bearings in the powered drive wheels and for drive shaft. Check and lubricate the bearings. You can also replace these bearings if needed. Inspect proper spinning of these bearings. Some uneven and weak operation of your canister may be because of broken or bent fins of blower. These must be replaced and if not replaced they may cause damage to the motor.
- Check for broken or uneven wheels. Broken wheels may often slow down movement of your canister machine and replacing these parts is not an issue at all. Just remove the caps from the attachment points of wheels and fix new ones.
These simple guidelines for repairing your canister vacuum would result in proper functioning of your vacuum cleaner without being a burden on your pocket and without giving you hassle of contacting someone for repair or servicing.
Upright vacuum Vs Canister Vacuum
Many users get confused when it comes to decide which type to buy as the best fit – upright vacuum or canister vacuum. Practically, the decision lies on the individual needs and personal preferences. However, knowing the types well and the pros and cons of each type may help potential buyers make a quick purchasing decision.
Upright vacuum cleaners employ a motor and a suction head in one unit that’s pushed in front of the user; Canister vacuum cleaners are engineered with a wheeled body and that is pulled behind the user. A hose and a nozzle are connected to the body of a canister vacuum.
Pros of Upright Vacuum Cleaners:
• Upright vacuums are convenient to slide out of the closet, glide over the floors and placing it neatly. Those employing self-propelled feature make it even easier to move forward and backward. Floor cleaning becomes virtually effortless.
• Some upright models incorporate the reach and maneuverability of the canister with a long hose and attachments. These features help users to clean upholstery, reach under furniture and into corners and even clean bare floors without the traditional upright kickback of dust and debris onto your feet. A good number of uprights available today feature telescoping hoses that reach 15 feet and more – enough for most staircases.
• The majority of uprights has dual motors and allows transition between a beater head for carpets and a static suction for bare floors. With just the tap of a foot switch, this type allows users to switch-off the brush role motor during hardwood floor cleaning and clean the floor without the brush-roll scattering the dirt. Some people have difficulty bending over to use a canister. For them emptying an upright is easier, be it a bagged or a modern bagless one.
• Upright vacuum cleaners provide a wider cleaning path than canisters. Those having homes with large open areas, uprights are a much better candidate to consider.
• Uprights tend to be less expensive than canisters. The bags or dirt containers are also usually larger than their canister counterparts. With an upright, you don’t have to replace the bag or empty the dirt cup as frequently. If you are suffering from back pains, consider to buy an upright as it is easier to empty an upright.
• Upright vacuums are sometimes preferred by its proponents as, generally, an upright bag will collect more debris than a canister bag as the bags or dirt containers are also usually larger than their canister counterparts. Proponents consider it time and money saver as it does not require them to frequently replace the bag.
Cons of Upright Vacuum Cleaners:
• Upright vacuum cleaners are criticized as it gives difficulty to users in reaching into tight spaces. However, this complaint is negated or proved false as many uprights today have the detachable hoses with specialty attachments.
• Some users complaint that uprights are way too heavy to carry up and down stairs – especially for the frail.
• Perhaps the upright vacuum’s greatest flaw is its sheer bulk, making it harder to carry. However, even to negate this complaint, there are lightweight models available today.
Pros of Canister Vacuum Cleaners:
• Canister lovers love the convenience of vacuuming under low-profile furniture like coffee tables that this type allows.
• Another advantage of canister vacuum is that even very small houses can afford to store it. It can be tucked very neatly into a tiny closet.
• Canisters that come with a retractable cord is even more preferred as it eliminates the boring task of wrapping the cord around the unit before storing.
• This vacuum is preferred by many for its compact and lightweight design which makes the job of moving up and down stairs easier.
• Proponents consider this type easier to maneuver than uprights and love for its greater versatility. Featured with a long flexible hose, wand and various attachments, canisters are ideal for above the floor cleaning, tall furniture like bookcases or ceiling areas.
• Canisters generate less noise than uprights as they employ a wheeled barrel to allow a better sound insulation.
• Canisters also give a special advantage. If its power head breaks, there is no need to fix the entire unit as this can be solved by easily replacing the attachment.
Cons of Canister Vacuum Cleaners:
• Users who have used both a canister and an upright opine that canisters require more energy y to haul the unit from behind than to glide an upright ahead of them.
• Critics also cite the tiresome manual task of switching between the separate heads for carpet and bare floors.
• In general, average price of canister vacuum cleaners are more than upright vacuum cleaners of similar quality.
We hope that this The Ultimate Guide for Buyers of Canister Vacuum Cleaner will enable you to choose an efficient and effective cleaner that would suit your specific needs. We recommend you to go through canister vacuum reviews to have more details on some of the best canister vacuum cleaners.